Our Quality Commitment to You
Professional Opticians of Florida is committed to continuing our proud tradition of offering only high-quality education with our “home study” courses.
Only top instructors in the optical profession were asked to research and write courses that are interesting and relevant to you. Each course has been reviewed by a panel of experts to ensure that all information is the most accurate and up-to-date.
All home study courses available on pofCE.org are approved by the Florida Board of Opticianry for the renewal of your Florida optician's license. Florida provider 50-1645
How Does pofCE.org Work?
If you are a first-time pofCE.org user, set up your own password-protected account by selecting “Sign up for an account”; You will create a user-name and gain access to our online courses by providing your name, address, and Florida license number. After you have created an account, select “Log in now” to choose your course(s). Now you’re ready to purchase the course you need, complete the course exam, and receive a certificate of completion. It’s that simple!
What’s the price?
POF members receive up to Five (5) hours of FREE online pofCE.org courses as a benefit of their membership in Professional Opticians of Florida. After the Five (5) FREE hours, members will be charged $10.00 per C.E. hour.
Non-POF members are charged the nominal fee of $10.00 per C.E. hour. We accept payment from all major credit cards.
Do I have to complete the course at my computer?
Once you choose the C.E. topics you want from the list of available courses, you can view and read the course material on your computer screen or download it, print it, and take it with you. All courses are available in PDF files or a MS Words file. If you need a one of these readers, you can download them free.
Do I have to complete the course as soon as I purchase it?
You can complete courses now or wait until later it is completely up to you. You have until the end of the current renewal period (December 31, 2024) to complete your chosen number of courses.
Will I have to wait to find out if I passed the course exam?
Once you have answered all the questions on the exam, review your answers and then click the “Submit” button. Your exam will be graded instantly and you will immediately receive your score.
With a passing score you will have immediate access to a downloadable certificate of completion POF will upload the C.E. credit to the State of Florida’s C.E. tracking web site within the prescribed time limit.
Can I transfer a course I purchased to another user’s account?
C.E. courses purchased by one user are not transferable to another person; only you can receive credits for hours purchase/completed under that account name and license number.
* You must pass the examination in order to receive continuing professional education credit for the course. Re-examination of a participant who has failed the examination is prohibited. FAC 64B12-15.008 (d)
** A maximum of 5 hours of continuing professional education may be earned from “Home Study” courses. FAC 64B12-15.001(2)
C.E. Requirements for Florida Opticians*
Florida opticians are required to attend 20 hours of continuing education every two years to renew their license in the following categories:
- Technical : At least eleven (11) hours shall be directly relating to the technical practice of Opticianry (i.e. dispensing, contact lens, etc.).
- Contact Lens : Board Certified Opticians shall receive at least four (4) hours in contact lens theory and practice.
- Laws & Rules : Two (2) hours must be on Federal and Florida laws & administrative rules governing the profession.
- AIDS/HIV : One (1) hour must be instruction on Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS) This training is only required of opticians renewing their license the first time that they have continuing education requirements, all other opticians are welcome to take the training as an Elective.
- Medical Errors Reduction: Two (2) hours on and shall include a study of root-cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety
- Electives: Five (5) hours shall be on any of the above listed topic (a - d) or may be in a management, sales or marketing related topic.
The current biennium ends December 31, 2024.
Privacy & Security Policy
Your privacy and security are very important to us. Professional Opticians of Florida will not sell, rent, or otherwise provide any personal or public information collected from our web sites to any third party vendor, supplier, or advertiser for the purpose of solicitation or other use. POF will, as required by law, provide pertinent information on your earned continuing education credits to the Florida State Department of Health's online continuing education tracking service (www.cebroker.com) within the prescribed time.
This is a secure site. When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card number and/or social security number) on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
You can earn up to five educational hours to renew your license online right now with many different CE hours available to choose from, there is something for everyone
All online continuing education courses are one hour unless noted otherwise.
- New Active Progressive Lens Wearers: Understanding Technologies Fitting Techniques
- Optical Solutions for Computer Vision Syndrome
- Sunwear & Polarized Lenses
- Casting Call Wanted:The Best Lens Material For Lens Prescriptions Everywhere
- The Other Side Of Free-Form
- The Optics Of Free-Form Progressive Lenses
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Art of Dispensing
- Lens Aberrations
- Prescribe, Outdoor Eyewear's Call to Action
- Present, Making Outdoor Eyewear Understood
- Protect, The Reason for Outdoor Eyewear
- The Dark Side of Ultraviolet and Blue Light
Technical: Contact Lens
- Use Of Contact Lenses In The Visual Correction of Keratoconus
- Contact Lens Instruments
- GP Multifocal Primer
- Slit Lamp 101
- Soft Lens Fitting 101
- Toric Soft Lens Fitting
- Use of Contact Lenses in the Visual Correction of Keratoconus
Medical Errors and HIV & AIDS Training
- Reduction of Medical Errors (2 hours) NOW ALSO AVAILABLE ON VIDEO
- AIDS/HIV Issues in the Optical Profession
- Selling, It Is Really a Pain (Thank Goodness!)